Bariatric surgery is a group of surgical procedures for those of us who had our heart broken by seeing numerals on the weight machine. Obesity not only hurts our aesthetic sentiments, it invites a horde of other diseases as well. The procedures in bariatric surgery helps in long term weight loss while relieving related disorders like blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis and so on.
Bariatric surgery is done laparoscopically and hence is simpler and painless, when compared to conventional surgeries. The recovery period is shorter as well. They are known to bring about a loss of about 70-90% of excess weight, though the results are not instantaneous.
Bariatric Surgery Procedures
The several types of bariatric surgery are as follows.
- Banded sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass – an add-on to standard procedure for long term result by adding a silicon band which limits food intake
- Sleeve gastrectomy – stomach is vertically stapled to limit food intake capacity.
- Gastric balloon – a deflated balloon is placed in the stomach and then inflated. This makes about two third of the stomach full effectively reducing its food intake capacity.
- Adjustable gastric band – silicon band placed on stomach, dividing it into two parts.
Should I get a bariatric surgery?
Bariatric surgery would be suit your needs of weight loss if you are
- committed to a lifestyle change
- morbidly obese (BMI -32.5 to 37.5)
- free of endocrine or metabolic disorders
In case of women, who have planned for a pregnancy in near future, this surgery is not advisable.
Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
In addition to weight loss, bariatric surgery has the following benefits: -
- Relief from diseases like sleep apnoea, arthritis and so on
- Cholesterol and blood pressure is lowered
- Blood sugar brought under control
- Regains self-esteem and confidence
Dr. N. P. Kamalesh is one of the eminent Bariatric Surgeon In Kerala. At PVS Memorial Hospital, he provides long term solutions for weight loss at an affordable cost.
Visit Us : surgicalgastro.com
Mail Us : email@example.com